May 21, 2013 by Emily Pergament
It was listed on the menu as “big sausage.” That was the English translation, at least. How could anyone resist?
May I present to you, andouilette.
Here is a snippet of my family’s reaction to the “big sausage”:
- “I believe that if you go to hell you are forced to eat that every day for all of eternity.”
- “Favored on-set meal for the cast and crew of “The Human Centipede” movies.”
- “Syrup of ipecac has got nothing on andouillette.”
- “Must have started as a practical joke.”
- “During the famine of 1252, peasants – regretting their acts of human cannibalism – tried eating the lower intestines of pigs, promptly followed by a return to cannibalism, this time with no regrets. It is a mystery lost to history how the andouillette reappeared on the menu.”
- “You are so mean [for making me taste it].”
The potatoes were delicious.